Tools & Templates
- Training and Professional Development Resources (Youth First Initiative)
- Strategy Chart (Midwest Academy) – Use this chart as a guide to develop your strategy
- Organizing for Social Change: Midwest Academy Manual for Activists (Midwest Academy) – Includes a step-by-step guide on campaign planning
- Tools to End the School to Prison Pipeline (Performing Statistics)
Reports & Resources
- Families Unlocking Futures: Solutions to the Crisis in Juvenile Justice (Justice for Families and DataCenter) – Report that provides the perspective of families, the parents, and other relatives, who are related to system-involved youth.
- Mothers at the Gate: How a Powerful Family Movement is Transforming the Juvenile Justice System (Nell Bernstein, Karen Dolan, & Ebony Slaughter-Johnson) – Report of first-hand accounts, strategies, and needs of family members in their individual and collective work to transform an unjust juvenile justice system.
Examples from the Field
- Virginia’s Young People Advise Commonwealth to Invest in Families and Communities, Not Youth Prisons (RISE for Youth) – Report on visioning session held with youth and impacted communities to learn from them what works and what doesn’t.
- Youth Justice New Jersey Youth Leadership Curriculum (Youth First Initiative/Youth Justice New Jersey) – Step-by-step curriculum for working in partnership with young people interested in getting involved in a campaign.
- A New Vision for Youth Justice: Insights from Hampton Roads Communities (RISE for Youth) — Report on visioning session held with youth and other community members in the Hampton Roads area about what young people need to avoid system involvement and lead successful lives.